Suffering from physical pain, especially chronic pain, can leave many individuals seeking the most convenient, the quickest solution. Although these types of methods, such as medication, do provide immediate relief, they can ultimately mask the pain while offering no long-term pain management. Physical therapy has become a viable complete alternative to medications or used as a real solution while also taking medication. Physical therapy can aid in pain relief and improve function and mobility to prevent future injury.
Many physical therapists are now advising patients to incorporate kinesiology tape in their treatments. Kinesiology tape serves different functions, depending on what the patient needs. The physical therapist will assess the area of pain to determine the best use of kinesiology tape alongside physical therapy.
Is kinesiology tape an effective support tool for physical therapy? In this article, we break down the ways physical therapy is using kinesiology tape for long-term management solutions and its advantages.
What Is The Kinesiology Taping Method?
Kinesiology is the study of skeletal and muscular motions. Kinesiology tape is used in physical therapy treatments to generate a sufficient amount of support and pain relief to a pained area. A trained physical therapist will first examine and assess the injured area to create a taping plan. Kinesiology tape can be applied with varying tensions to create sufficient support and stability for the injury. Once it is applied, the therapist may rub the tape in to activate the adhesive and allow it to stimulate blood flow between the skin and the injured muscle area. The main goals of kinesiology tape include:
- Muscle Support Promotes movement of the injured muscles and relieves pain.
- Stimulates Blood Circulation: Tape stimulates blood circulation by lifting the skin of the injured area to allow blood flow to be increased.
- Stimulates Healing: Taping physical therapy methods promotes natural healing.
- Improves Joint Issues: Increased range of motion to the injured area.
Benefits Of Physical Therapy and Taping Treatments
Physical therapy treatment programs can help patients return to their optimal level of functioning and encourage lifestyle changes to improve one’s well-being. Although some primary care doctors may exclusively prescribe medications for pain, many will also recommend and refer patients to physical therapy as a non-invasive, natural approach to their pain issues.
Here are the key ways that physical therapy and taping methods benefit patients:
- Reduce Pain: Completing therapeutic exercises and manual therapy treatments, such as soft tissue mobilization or joint mobilization while wearing kinesiology tape can reduce pain to the injury. Taping can restore the muscle or joint function, which can even prevent the pain from returning.
- Avoid Surgery: Surgery is a daunting process for many, as it is invasive, sometimes dangerous and the healing process is extensive. Physical therapy can help patients heal and even eliminate the pain completely to where surgery for the injury is no longer deemed necessary. Many opt for pre-surgery physical therapy prior to surgery to recover more quickly afterwards.
- Recover From Sports Injuries: Physical therapists are the experts in understanding how different sports and activities can increase your risk of certain types of injuries. For example, long-distance runners are more likely to experience a stress fracture. Runners can practice and complete sports activities while wearing kinesiology tape to support the joint or muscle. Physical therapists can also design suitable recovery exercise programs to ensure a safe return for you back to your sport or activity.
- Improve Balance: Physical therapists often screen patients for fall risk during the initial consultation or appointment. Patients that are at higher risk of falls, often because of their activities, are provided exercise solutions that are safe and challenge their balance. These exercises can also help improve coordination.
When Can Kinesiology Tape Be Used?
The tape can be used to treat a variety of injuries and ailments, including:
- To ease tensions and relax overworked joints or muscles.
- Prevent overexertion of the joint and muscles, which causes pain and strain.
- Relieve and potentially eliminate pain in the injured area.
- Enhance sport/activity performance and comfort.
- To help treat a sprain, tear, and torn muscle.
- For pain relief in chronic injuries or weakened joints and muscles.
- To reduce inflammation in the injured area.
- To negate chemical build-up as a result of slow blood circulation.
- To not inhibit but encourage and allow for a range of motion to the injury.
- To support the muscles and discourage future injury by protecting the area from strains, cramps, and over-contraction while intensifying the healing process.
How Kinesiology Tape Is Treating Physical Therapy Patients
Kinesiology tape pulls on the upper layers of the skin to form a space between the injured muscle and dermis. This space relieves pressure for the muscle and lymphatic system to stimulate lymph flow and, ultimately, allow for lymph drainage through the injured area. This space is also home to different nerve receptors that send certain information to the brain. If that space and the muscle becomes compressed as a result of injury, these pain signals will be sent to the brain. Kinesiology tape alters the information being sent by the receptors to the brain to cause a less reactive response in the injured area and body overall. This ultimately allows the body to operate more normally and remove any blockage preventing the area from healing.
SpiderTech Kinesiology Tape
Kinesiology tape is used to improve joint pain and alignment by treating the muscles and fascia as well as reducing poor joint function. Using kinesiology tape along with healthy physical therapy treatments helps you sustain optimal health and wellness. Superior in durability, comfort, and protecting the skin, the kinesiology tape solutions enhance muscle strength and tone as well. SpiderTech is non-invasive, drug-free and has been tested on and consistently used by world-class athletes. Kinesiology tape can stick and stays comfortably for up to five days even with sweating and showering. SpiderTech kinesiology taping solutions are the superior taping methods, especially when used with physical therapy to lead a healthier future.