Are you a big fan of Japanese meals? Or looking for a perfect dish to satisfy your taste buds? If yes, then you should try veggie sushi bowls. Loaded with a lot of nutrients and ingredients, veggie sushi bowls are perfect to nourish your soul and tummy. However, before we talk more about the dish, let’s get to know a little about Sushi.
Sushi is one of the most famous and loved Japanese dishes worldwide. While some like sushi stuffed with salmon and tuna, there are many who like meat-free options. Many people have a preconceived notion that sushi only contains fish or some kind of meat. However, sushi can be prepared using veg options also. Yes, you read that right. There are many vegetarian sushi recipes available to cater to your food requirements.
And one such tasty and delicious dish is veggie sushi bowls. Keep reading the article to learn all about this vegetarian dish.
An Overview of Veggie Sushi Bowls
Whether you are a vegetarian Veggie Sushi Bowlsor a fitness freak having rigid diet restrictions, veggie sushi bowls are a great alternative for anyone who wants to enjoy the full flavor. There are many ways to make veg sushi bowls. One of the recipes has been mentioned below.
Recipe For Veggie Sushi Bowls
You need not be a pro chef or an expert home cook to make this easy-peasy recipe. All you need is some creativity and a few ingredients to master this recipe mentioned below. So, before your mouth starts watering, let’s get started.
Ingredients for rice and seasonings
- Properly washed short-grain brown rice
- Soy sauce or low-sodium tamari
- Rice vinegar
- Dried nori
- Salt to taste
For spicy mayo sauce, you need
- Chili-garlic sauce or sriracha to taste
- Frozen edamame
- Sliced carrots or any vegetable you like
- Sliced avocado
- Sesame seeds and pickled ginger for garnishing
Instructions to Make Veggie Sushi Bowls
Follow the cooking instructions to prepare perfect veggie sushi bowls.
- The first step is to cook the rice. Make sure to wash the rice properly before boiling them. After rinsing, boil the rice in hot boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain the extra water from the rice and use a lid to cover the pot of rice. Allow the rice to steam for approximately 10 minutes.
- The next stage is to make the rice seasoning. Heat a pan over a medium flame. Mix all the ingredients including tamari, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until combined properly. Heat the blend until the sugar dissolves properly. Remove the mixture from the flame and mix it with cooked rice.
- The 3rd step is to toast the nori. Place another pan over a medium-low flame and heat the nori sheet until it’s crispy enough to crush easily. Turn halfway for about 5 minutes. Remove the nori from the flame and cut it into quarters. Crush every piece into very tiny bits in your hands over the rice and put it into the pot. Swirl the nori into the rice and let the rice rest for a few minutes.
- The next step is to cook the edamame. Boil the water in a pot and put frozen edamame in it. Heat it for 5 minutes or until the beans are warmed through. Drain the water and set aside.
- To make the spicy mayo sauce, blend together the sriracha and mayonnaise in a small bowl until combined well. In case you like spicy sauce, add more sriracha.
- Now slice the cucumber in halves. Make sure to remove the seeds. Slice the cucumber further into matchsticks.
- Separate the rice into four bowls. Use edamame, avocado, carrots, and cucumber as toppings. Put some chili-mayo sauce on top. Use sesame seeds for garnish. You can serve the sushi with the ginger pickle on the side.
Tips to Make the Best & Delicious Veggie Sushi Bowls
- The first tip is to use fresh and quality ingredients like fresh vegetables, avocados, and nori sheets to boost the flavor of your dish.
- Properly rinse and cut your vegetables into bite-sized pieces. You can choose any vegetable you like eating, including carrots, bell peppers, radishes, and more.
- Properly seasoning the rice is vital for a delicious sushi bowl.
- Choose toppings from a range of options like sesame seeds, crispy tofu, or even marinated mushrooms to uplift the texture of your dish.
- The sauce is an essential component of any sushi bowl. You can prepare the sauce to suit your taste and preferences. You can make soy sauce, ponzu sauce, or sesame ginger dressing.
Whether at a birthday party or a family gathering, you can include this recipe in the party menu. Make sure to add spicy mayo sauce to take the flavor and taste of the dish to another level. You are free to choose toppings as per your liking and preferences.